Recently the media has been filled with pictures of a house flood in Perth and a submerged car! We are told it was a Water Corporation pipe failure. We understand that Water Corporation have admitted liability and will bear the cost for repairs to the house. The owner is fully insured too.  Sadly the poor tenant is not so lucky.

In addition, we recently had an incident at a property in Mount Hawthorn that had a burst pipe in the back yard.  The burst pipe caused water damage in a home that was tenanted.  The home was part of Strata – who had building insurance, however, the tenant did not have home and contents insurance.

This is a timely reminder to tenants that the owners building insurance does not cover your contents and the moral of the story is that tenants must ensure that they take out independent contents insurance for their possessions.